Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Sleep. It's every parent's dream. It's funny that you actually need to sleep in order to dream. You see, I am very blessed with two handsomely adorably cute (insert all other types of mushy words mothers use to describe their cute kids- but hey, mine are really cute!) boys. Owen is almost 4 and my baby, Jase, turns one next week. (When did that happen?)  They are very lucky that they are so cute because as of recently, they are not sleeping well. It actually seems that they are conspiring against us. Greg, my husband, and I actually believe that they somehow they plan who is going to keep us up all night. Without fail, when one child sleeps, the other one is up. Last night, it was Jase's turn. We'll see who's up tonight.
Though the beginning of this may come off as grumpy and ungrateful, let me explain to you how I keep going with a smile on my face. The truth is, I have been given wisdom from friends who have 'babies' that are now in their 20s and 30s. While the old cliches remind us 'to enjoy every moment' - lets face it, that's sometimes tough to do. The advice I was given wasn't something I had heard before: in those moments when you are up in the middle of the night with that child, remember that it is just you and the baby. The dishes don't need to be done, emails have all been answered, and you can focus on the child. The rest of the world is sleeping (of which you are keenly aware!), appreciate this special time you have with the child, for you will never get it back. There will come a time when this child will not need you to rock them to sleep, they will not need you to find their paci, or their lovie, they will simply wake, turn over and go back to sleep. The scary part about this is you don't know when the last time is going to be. Is tonight the last time Jase will need to nurse? Was last night the last time Owen wanted to lay with me 'for just a little bit?' As I prepare to close this first blog post, I am wondering what lays ahead of me for tonight.  Who will be up and when and how much sleep will I get? But when they wake and need something hopefully I'll remember that this part of our lives really is not about me. It's about them. And for now, I'm pretty okay with being the one they need.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! It'll be great to see and hear how things are going in your life! Ah! I can't believe Jase is almost 1!!! Wow, has it been that long?!?!

    As you know, I can very much relate to your post... I actually miss getting up with Ev and Cooper, rocking them at night when they were babies. Fortunately they both still like to snuggle during the day! And It helps I still have one to rock and nurse. If there were only a way to have both babies and sleep... I try to be present and remind myself to savor all our little moments.. it's difficult during the challenging times...but I'm more scared it's just going to pass way too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...I can't believe it either. He's still a baby, right? I keep thinking of him as a newborn.This year has flown by! Your boys are so big too! Cooper and Ev look like little men! Can't wait to see pictures from Oliver's big day in May!

    ReplyDelete